Quite a few students have raised questions about how references should be included in a blog post.
So, here I will share some answers and tips for integrating references into your posts.
While there are no hard and fast rules about this, you can make some decisions based on whether the reference is central to the post, or just a passing reference used to validate your claim.
If you discuss a reference in depth or at length in a blog post, it is sometimes a good idea to integrate an introduction to it within the text rather than place a 'reference list' at the end.
For example, in this post I want to share a paper with you all that I found this year that has influenced my thinking about pedagogy. The paper is by Angela Thomas, an academic at the University of Tasmania, and in it she outlines what is required to move 'Towards a Transformative Digital Literacies Pedagogy':
I've also chosen to hyperlink Angela's name to her blog profile, because this shows my reader that I am aware of the researcher's wider context. I could equally have used her University staff profile. I've also provided two different links to her paper citation, which will help my reader to locate the original source. Including a few choice hyperlinks like this will improve the quality of your blog post by making your writing more interactive for the reader, among othe things.
Any questions?
What is your reaction to this style?
Do you find the reference to be clear enough, or would you do it differently?
Stay tuned for more examples!
So, here I will share some answers and tips for integrating references into your posts.
While there are no hard and fast rules about this, you can make some decisions based on whether the reference is central to the post, or just a passing reference used to validate your claim.
For example, in this post I want to share a paper with you all that I found this year that has influenced my thinking about pedagogy. The paper is by Angela Thomas, an academic at the University of Tasmania, and in it she outlines what is required to move 'Towards a Transformative Digital Literacies Pedagogy':
...a number of significant characteristics of digital literacy are imperative to include in a pedagogy of digital literacy in order to make it a transformative pedagogy. These include: explicit understandings of multimodality, opportunities for play and experimentation, participating within communities of practice, and critical engagement with text. (Thomas, 2011: Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy vol.6, p.90)You can see how I've played around with traditional APA referencing conventions quite a bit - but essentially, the information you (and your assignment marker!) need to know is all there - the author, year of publication, paper title, and journal name/volume/issue (in this case, the journal only provides volume numbers, so no issue number appears).
I've also chosen to hyperlink Angela's name to her blog profile, because this shows my reader that I am aware of the researcher's wider context. I could equally have used her University staff profile. I've also provided two different links to her paper citation, which will help my reader to locate the original source. Including a few choice hyperlinks like this will improve the quality of your blog post by making your writing more interactive for the reader, among othe things.
Any questions?
What is your reaction to this style?
Do you find the reference to be clear enough, or would you do it differently?
Stay tuned for more examples!
No comments:
Post a Comment